Profiles of Curriculum Design and Review Committee Members
Prof.(Dr4.) Mwinyikione Mwinyihija - Chairperson
Prof. Mwinyikione Mwinyihija, is a chartered Fellow of various acclaimed internationally recognized professional organizations where he is currently serving COMESA-Leather and Leather Products Institute (COMESA/LLPI) as Executive Director since 2013. He holds Degrees in the following fields: Ecotoxicology of the tanning Industry, Management and Remediation of Tannery Waste, Opportunity management; Value addition strategy for the leather sector; and Management Sciences. Before joining COMESA/LLPI, Prof. Mwinyihija was CEO of the Kenya Leather Development Council coupled with over 20years working with the leather sector at various levels in Government service. Currently, he provides leadership in the leather sector in disciplines such as Ecotoxicology and Value Chain Analysis of the leather sector. He is also a mentor, reviewer, examiner, researcher, author and publisher of peer reviewed books, papers and presentations at global and regional levels (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mwinyikione_Mwinyihija) . His involvement to the leather industry, leadership quality and collaborative relationships has greatly assisted in the successful attainment of illustrious milestone regionally and globally.
Dr. (Eng.) Abdel-Rahim Mohamed Ahmed - Member
Dr. Eng. Abdel Rahim Currently is serving Sudan Technological University (STU) as University Principal since July 2018, he holds degree in Management of Quality and Excellence from College of Graduate Studies (Sudan University of Science and Technology), Masters in Textile Engineering Total Quality Management from College of Graduate Studies (Sudan University of Science and Technology), B.Sc. Honor from College of Engineering in Textile Engineering (Mechanic) (Sudan University of Science and Technology). Before joining STU Dr. Eng. Abdel Rahim was Executive Director for Vocational Training and Entrepreneurship Administration, Ministry of Human Development and Labor, Khartoum State – Sudan.
>Abdel Rahim has participated in various projects with COMESA-LLPI since August 2014, including Curriculum development for Leather Development and Entrepreneurship program in Sudan and also participated as a Professional Vocational Training Expert, Promotion and External Partnerships with International Institutions (UNIDO – EU – TIKA – COMESA – JICA) and development practitioner in the field of human development and human security with a focus on Entrepreneurship, Vocational Training and capacity building. In his specialized field has 18 years of experience in management system formulation and curriculum design, delivery, monitoring and mentoring, evaluation and training tools and equipment selection, in collaboration with local and international Institutions and also has 10 years of experience in Total Quality Management field with a focus on delivery/evaluation of training programs aiming in entrepreneurship, self-employment, social inclusion and poverty alleviation in Sudan.
For many years Abdel Rahim is participating in various workshops and platforms with Arab Labor Organization for discussing the issues of capacity building and formulation of Strategic plan and occupational standards for the Arabic countries.
Prof. Mekonnen Hailemariam - Coordinator
- MVSc : Production Management and Value Chain
- DVM : Veterinary Medicine
- Post Graduate Certificate : Livestock Systems Economics and Planning
- Post Graduate Certificate : Design and Management of Livestock Services and Programs
- Certificate : Leadership and Management Capacity Development
- Certificate : Quality Management Systems Development and Implementation
Mr. Nicholas Mudungwe - Member
- MBA : Master of Business Administration
- MSc : Project Management(to be earned very soon)
- BSc.(Hon.) : Economics
- Certificate: Certificate in Quality Infrastructure for Sustainable Development (Standards development, Metrology, Certification & Accreditation)
- Certificate : SMEs Policy Development
- Certificate : Certificate of Computer Studies
- Certificate: Global Trade Analysis
Mr. Harrison Mungai - Member
Mr. Harrison is one of top performing and highly resourceful Leather Technologist, Consultant and Trainer with over (30+) years of experience. He has worked in both Public and Private Sector Kenya in various capacities. In Public sector, he worked for Kenya government as the Officer in charge of Hides, Skins and Leather Development in different Regions in the country. In private sector, Harrison worked for a renowned Bata Shoe Company as a Tannery Production Supervisor. At International arena, he worked for International Trade Center (ITC) as a Leather National Consultant for ITC-SITA (Support Indian Trade and investment in Africa) programme. He also worked in pastoral areas in Kenya providing training to local pastoralists and project staff. His expertise in pastoral areas lied on identifying challenges and opportunities and providing recommendations for improvement in regards to Hides, Skins and Leather Value – Chain at all levels of production chain including leather cottage industries. Currently, Harrison is working for COMESA – LLPI as a Leather Value Chain and Leather Development Expert.
- Honorary BSc. Degree in Leather Technology; University of Northampton, U.K.
- Higher Diploma in Leather Technology (Technician Educational Council), U.K
- Certificate in Supervision and Quality control in Leather Manufacture, U.K.
- Technician’s Certificate in Heavy Leather Manufacture, U.K.
- Technician certificate in Light Leather Manufactures, U.K
- Technician certificate in Leather Dyeing and Finishing, U.K
- Operative’s certificate in Leather Manufacture, U.K.
Mrs. Ronett Atukunda Ecel - Member
Ronett Atukunda Ecel is a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Commerce, Department of Economics, Makerere University Business School (MUBS), Kampala, Uganda. She also is a PhD (Economics) student at the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and holds a Masters degree in Economic Policy and Planning and BA Economics degree, both from Makerere University Kampala.
Ronett has participated in various projects with COMESA-LLPI since October 2013, including Curriculum development for the Master of Business Administration in Business – Leather Development and Entrepreneurship program, Euclid University; Curriculum Development for Leather Technology in the Sudan, Diploma Level Programs for Kerari Institute, Sudan; Revision of the Level I, II & III Curriculum in Leather Technology in the Sudan for Kerari Institute, Sudan and the Development of the Hides and Skins Improvement Handbook, Trainers Manual. Currently, She is part of the team that is reviewing the LLPI strategic plan for 2017/18 and also developing course outlines for the short term trainings to be carried out by LLPI during 2017.
For a number of years, Ronett was a part of the MUBS Course development and review committee and there, she participated in the developing and subsequent reviews of the Bachelors of Arts in Economics program, Course development of the MBA (Real Estate Management Option), and also took part in the review of the Master of Arts in Economic Policy and Management program. Furthermore, she took part in developing a Microeconomics reader for undergraduate students of Economics.
Mrs Birkinesh Gonfa Yado
Addis Ababa University
M.A Degree (July 2012 G.C))
Economics (Competition Policy and Regulatory Economics)
Addis Ababa University
B.A Degree (July 1992)
Maastricht school of Management (11 Janu-18 April 2002)
Management (Training of Women Entrepreneurs)
Post graduate Diploma
General Winget Voc. & Const. School
- Leather and leather products Marketing support Directorate, Director
- Leather and leather prodcucts Industry development Team leader
- Leather Industry Development Expert from investment to marketing of the leather
- Investment and Trade linkage facilitator with UNIDO/ITPO/Italy and Ethiopia bilateral facilitator/
- Plan and programme Expert
- Export Promotion and Import Regulation and Follow up Expert
- Industrial Policy and Regulation Expert
- Business plan Preparation and Recommendation Expert regarding export incentive schemes in Ethiopia
- Prepare organization’s plan and Reports,
- Prepare different projects, Follow and report the status ,
- Organize and approve business plan for different projects,
- Analyze and summarize the country’s export and import statistics,
- Analyze the Industrial regulation measures taken by the government, and recommend the way forward,
- Prepare and analyze the bid document and follow the accomplishment of the projects related to Donors,
- Set different investment and Trade promotional activities by participating in different trade fairs and follow its performance and prepare report for the priority sectors/Industries for development like Textile, Leather,
- Conduct marketing expansion studies with development partners and consultants related to Industrial products, promotional tools, government role, the upgrading projects and Capacity building projects
- Analyze and recommend the best tools to increase export by addressing supply chain problems, etc
- Participation in different Seminar and trade fair, trade mission and discussion in different countries
Mrs. Pethile Dzingai - Member
Pethile Dzingai (Nee Sibanda) is curretly a full time lecturer in the Department of Fibre and Polymer Materials Engineering at the National University of Science and Technology in Bulawayo Zimbabwe. She has worked as a clothing line production Manager and a Trainee towel manufacturing production manager at Archer Clothing Manufacturers and Merlin and Merspin towel manufactures respectively. Her interests lie at the interface of Fibre technology, leather engineering, biomedical materials, nanotechnology and Smart materials. To date she has published nine (9) research papers related to her field. The majority of her previous researches have been looking at the component of biomedical applications of polymer and fibrous materials. In the next phase she will be looking at more efficient ways of production of leather based materials and improving the effluent treatment in the leather industry. Currently she is working with a number of leather clusters in urban and rural areas in cluster formation and leather value chain addition.
- 2014 Donghua University China – MEng, Textile science and Engineering
- 2008 NUST, Zimbabwe – BSc ,Textile science and Engineering
- 2009 Speciss College – Certificate, Quality assurance and quality control
- 2012 Shanghai Co-Way Technology Transfer Centre, China- Certificate, Planning & Management of Science Parks and Incubators
- 2016 NUST, Zimbabwe –Post Graduate Diploma in Higher Education
- 2016 COMESA /LLPI- Certificate in governance, cluster implementation procedures and administration
- 2017 IELTS English proficiency band score 7
- Curricula design for the training programs at COMESA /LLPI
- Project co-ordinator (Leather value chain addition in rural Zimbabwe)
- Leather technical advisor standards association of Zimbabwe
- Curricula design Textile Department , Change of Program to Fibre and Polymer Materials Engineering
- Course formulation Fibre Chemistry, Polymers and Plastics, Leather Chemistry , Leather Technology, Nonwoven materials, Paper and pulp technology, Technical fibrous materials and fabric structures
- Academic liaison person Bulawayo Leather Cluster (BLC)
- Assistant project co-ordinator ,Using Textile related natural resources for (Ilala, and dyes) for income generation - Lupane
- Assistant project co-ordinator, Fibre Characterisation Project.
Mrs. Tigist Hailegiorgis - Member
Tigist Hailegiorgis is Head of Administration, Budget and Finance of COMESA - Leather and Leather Products Institute. She has a Bachelor Degree from Addis Ababa University and MBA from St. Mary's University. In addition, she also has a Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science and Certificates: Strategic Planning and Management and Result Based Management.
At present, she is part of the Team engaged in the Unpacking of LLPI's Strategic Plan (2016 - 2025) and Internal Short Term Training of 2017 for LLPI staff Curriculum Development.
Mr. Awlachew Sintie - Member
Mr. Awlachew is currently working at COMESA/LLPI as Information Systems Expert and M&E since 2012.
He holds Master’s Degree in Development Economics, BA Degree in Economics, Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science, and Bachelor of Education in Mathematics.
He had been an Instructor of Computer Science and Mathematics for about seven years at Unity University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. He also served as Mathematics Instructor at Ethiopian Air-force Training Academy for one year. In addition, he taught Mathematics in high school for about four years.
Mr. Moses Mwangi - Member
Ag. Manager: Training and production Centre for Shoe Industry (TPCSI), a branch Kenya Leather Development Council (KLDC); Hold over 10 years’ experience of working as a trainer in footwear technology and a footwear Designer.
- Diploma: CAD - CAM System at ARS – ARPEL School. (Italy)
- Certificate: Leather Footwear Technology & pattern Cutting. Leather and Leather Products Institute (Ethiopia)
- Certificate: Footwear Design and Development.
- Certificate: Footwear Technology.
Mr. Crispin Amasi - Member
- Leather and Leather Products Entrepreneur
- General Secretary – Leather Industries Association of Malawi;
- Leather and Leather Products Training Consultant
Ms. Beza Jima - Member
- MBA: Business Administration
- BA: Accounting
- Certificate: Customer Handling Training
- Certificate: Certificate of Competence (COC) Evaluation Training
- Certificate: Stock Inventory Training
- Certificate: English Language Training
- Suns Accounting System Training
Mr. Woreti Workineh - Member & Secretary
- BSc: Management Information System(MIS)
- Diploma: Library and Information Science
- Certificate: Performance Audit
- Certificate: Leadership Essentials Training Program
- Certificate: Leadership, Team Building and Change Management
- Certificate: Organizational Values Training
- Certificate: Sage VIP Basic Payroll Training
- Certificate: HR Managers Workshop